First of all, what are essential oils?
Children are naturally drawn to these gifts from the earth.
Essential oils are magical medicine found in the seeds, bark, stem, roots and flowers of plants. They can be beautifully fragrant, eliciting powerful physiological and emotional responses.
Essential oils are completely natural and have a beautiful ability to help children in many ways both emotionally and physically.
For more on how essential oils work on the emotional body, read my post Vibrational healing with essential oils: how does it work?
Which oils should you use?
The first thing you should look out for is the purity of an essential oil. This is its most important characteristic. An essential oil that isn’t pure can contain fillers, synthetic ingredients, germs or heavy metals which you risk putting into yours and your families’ bodies.
This can cause irritation, adverse affects and not give you the physiological or emotional results you were looking for.
DōTERRA oils are certified therapeutic grade. When you choose dōTERRA you are choosing pure oils that have been gently and patiently harvested at the perfect moment by experienced growers around the world.
Essential oils are potent. Always dilute oils for use with children. Children have more porous, sensitive skin and require less oil. DōTERRA recommends one drop of essential oil to 3 drops of carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil). If you are using another brand, please follow their recommendations. And always follow yours and your child’s intuition.
Here’s 5 ways to use oils with your children:
1. Add 3-4 drops to a teaspoon of carrier oil and add to a warm bath so the healing properties of the oil radiate through the water. It’s important to dilute the essential oil so that the droplets of oil will be gentle on your child’s skin when they come into contact.
2. Diffuse. If you don’t have diffuser, you can do this in your car by simply adding a couple of drops to a cotton ball and placing in the air vent.
3. Roll on. Use ready made roller bottles from DōTERRA (which come prediluted in fractionated coconut oil) or make your own and roll on the soles of little feet.
4. Mix with water in a spritzer bottle and spray over your child’s linen/ pillow at bedtime
5. Add 3-4 drops to the required oil in your next batch of playdough
Have you added oils to your natural medicine cabinet yet?
Share with me or reach out to get started in the private Lightfilled Parenting circle here
B. Ed Early Childhood
Certified Lightworker Practictioner
PS Learning to support yours and your child’s emotions with oils is one of the topics in my online program Emotional Balm + you’ll receive your very own starter kit of oils!